Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Episode 4: Decisions decisions...

Both of these options are hard to come by. Both of these options may lead me to a brighter future.

Before I made any decisions, I made sure I spoke to a few people and hear what they have to say. The first person I approached was my chef, my mentor, the person that inspired me to do what I do, and the person that taught me about life... Chef Harris. His opinion weights heavier than anything anyone says.

Chef Harris weights out both of the options and we spoke about the things that each of them can offer me:

Going to France, the birth place of fine cuisine is such an exquisite experience. But the question is, where will I be sent to? An unknown bistro in the country side of France that no one knows about? When I put that on my resume, no one will know where that place is and how reputable it is. They will just see that you have worked in France for 3 months...

A restaurant owned by Michael White, a well established chef in the culinary world, is known by many in the industry. Having a chance to work in one of his establishments will look much brighter in your resume. Working there will give you plenty more opportunities in the future. That is what you need to do right now, put yourself out there. 

Then I spoke to a few of my close friends that are also into culinary arts from school. They told me the same thing.

Going to France is a great experience but working under a chef that is already well known is better. Think of the networks that you can be building and chances of moving to their other restaurants.

One of them already did the 3 month France work abroad program, so those are not empty words.

At the end, I weighted out both choices and I picked staying in NYC working in Chef White's restaurant. Chef Harris and my friends were right. I need to do what is best for myself right now. Both are really rare opportunities, but what I picked was the better of the two. This was what I needed to do.

Chef Harris and I in the awards reception dinner.

Check out this song here by Bryant Dope. A Queens kid trying to make a scene in the music industry. A simple yet motivational song. Straight forward.

2 comments:

  1. YOU BETTER STAY IN NYC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    or i'd be a sad panda =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. lols i already said im staying

    ReplyDelete